Chicken Soup+ for bad days. - Page 2 - IBD 101 - IBD Support Group Forums - IBDsupport.org

Advertisement

Photo

Chicken Soup+ for bad days.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 IBD/IBS Author

IBD/IBS Author

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

Advertisement

My nutritionist gave me a great chicken bone broth recipe that's even a bit better. It includes coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, ginger, and cooks for 12+ hours to break down the gelatin from the bones. I make a batch each week and eat it for lunch as part of my new regime. Very healing and delicious.

3 quarts filtered water
1 Tbls. apple cider vinegar
3-4 Tbls. virgin coconut oil
1 medium organic, free range or kosher whole chicken, cleaned.
8 organic carrots, sliced
2-4 celery stalks
2-4 organic zucchinis, sliced
3 medium organic white or yellow onions, peeled and sliced
4 inches fresh grated ginger
5 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
2-4 Tbls. Celtic Sea Salt or Redmond's Real Salt (PAT: this is the only salt my nutritionist will now let me eat. Claims it's the only real salt with natural nutrients)
1 large bunch parsley
healing spices such as turmeric, cumin, or fennel may be added if desired

- Place filtered water and cider vinegar in a large stainless steel pot and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the oil, chicken, vegetables, ginger, garlic, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over a high heat. Let boil 60 seconds, then lower the heart and simmer with the lid on for 12-24 hours (yes, Hours).
- About 30 minutes before removing soup from heat add parsley, if desired.
- Remove from heat. Remove chicken meat from the bones and place back into the soup, discard the bones.
- Put whole pot in refrigerator over night, and skim off fat in morning. Then I divide it into 2 or 3 containers and keep one in the 'fridge and put the others in the freezer for later.

If your gut is off you may want to allow the soup to cool then puree it in batches in a blender. Or, strain out the veggies and chicken and eat only the broth.

Advertisement

#22 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Founder

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

I would never thought to have put zucchinis, vinegar, or ginger in my chicken soup. Interesting!

#23 IBD/IBS Author

IBD/IBS Author

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Once the Zucs cook for 12+ hours they are virtually mush so easy to digest. As for the vinegar, my understanding is that it helps to leach the gelatin from the chicken bones and this is very healing. Same for the ginger, very good for soothing and healing inflammation. Oh, and, the coconut oil is a must. I tried making a batch without it and it just wasn't as good. Again, I think it helps the bone's gelatin break down.

I eat a bowl of this every day for lunch and find it wonderful. I usually put in a cup of brown rice in the last hour of cooking. Like I said, I'm not a big chicken soup liker, but love this.

Make some, you'll love it!

#24 Patman75

Patman75

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

I have made this 3 or 4 times and I love it. I switched the chicken for rabbit twice. It was great either way. Thanks for the recipe.

Diagnosed with UC November 2004, I felt aweful until I started seeing a Nutritionist (CCN or DACBN) in Febuary 2008.
Started with Candida diet + supplements.
Currently in remisson following SCD and GAPs diet. Antioxidants, Fish oil, multi vit, Colazal 3X2.

My Progress - http://www.ibdsuppor...-need-to-share/

IBD Resource Post - http://www.ibdsuppor...esource-thread/

#25 Yarm

Yarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

I have kept chicken (cooked) in the fridge for 4 to 5 days with no problems. We can buy chicken in any grocery store that is free range (big city).

I have found that chicken soup is great for my tummy. I can't eat leeks and onions (gassy) but I put in chopped celery, chopped carrots, chopped green beans, and diced red pepper.

I also add worsteshire sauce (1 tbsp), bay leaves, thyme and basil (pepper after cooking) and sea salt. I use chicken bouillon cubes (low-sodium is best).

Mmmmm,
Yarm

Where there's a will there's a way!

#26 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2513 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

Haven't visited for a long time. Been good. And busy. But never forget you.

So happy Mr O's chicken soup recipe has so many views.

Feel I must caution that although many suggestions are good, my advice is to keep
it simple on bad days. As the original recipe. Nothing like good old-fashioned
chicken soup.

I found it always worked when I had d. But I would feel concerned about adding
some of the delights I see mentioned when your d is really bad.

But, hey, if it works for you, that's good.

However, lot mentioned sounds great when the d has gone...

O

Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#27 Patman75

Patman75

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

My nutritionist gave me a great chicken bone broth recipe that's even a bit better. It includes coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, ginger, and cooks for 12+ hours to break down the gelatin from the bones. I make a batch each week and eat it for lunch as part of my new regime. Very healing and delicious.

3 quarts filtered water
1 Tbls. apple cider vinegar
3-4 Tbls. virgin coconut oil
1 medium organic, free range or kosher whole chicken, cleaned.
8 organic carrots, sliced
2-4 celery stalks
2-4 organic zucchinis, sliced
3 medium organic white or yellow onions, peeled and sliced
4 inches fresh grated ginger
5 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
2-4 Tbls. Celtic Sea Salt or Redmond's Real Salt (PAT: this is the only salt my nutritionist will now let me eat. Claims it's the only real salt with natural nutrients)
1 large bunch parsley
healing spices such as turmeric, cumin, or fennel may be added if desired

- Place filtered water and cider vinegar in a large stainless steel pot and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the oil, chicken, vegetables, ginger, garlic, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over a high heat. Let boil 60 seconds, then lower the heart and simmer with the lid on for 12-24 hours (yes, Hours).
- About 30 minutes before removing soup from heat add parsley, if desired.
- Remove from heat. Remove chicken meat from the bones and place back into the soup, discard the bones.
- Put whole pot in refrigerator over night, and skim off fat in morning. Then I divide it into 2 or 3 containers and keep one in the 'fridge and put the others in the freezer for later.

If your gut is off you may want to allow the soup to cool then puree it in batches in a blender. Or, strain out the veggies and chicken and eat only the broth.

I love the smell of this soup as it cooks. the whole house smells soo good. I'm going a little hill-billy on this batch, Squirell. :( All the spices will take all the gamey taste.

Diagnosed with UC November 2004, I felt aweful until I started seeing a Nutritionist (CCN or DACBN) in Febuary 2008.
Started with Candida diet + supplements.
Currently in remisson following SCD and GAPs diet. Antioxidants, Fish oil, multi vit, Colazal 3X2.

My Progress - http://www.ibdsuppor...-need-to-share/

IBD Resource Post - http://www.ibdsuppor...esource-thread/

#28 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2513 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

Update on chicken cubes. We aren't using Knorr anymore. Using Herb ox, sodium free Chicken Bouillon - Gluten Free No MSG, by Hormel. www.hormel.com.
Of course, if you have a lot of d. you need the salt, but for those who can't take a lot of salt, we like this product.
O

Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#29 Islanderbarbara

Islanderbarbara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

thanks for that recipe, O. that sounds good. and now that i the recipe, i hope i'll never have to use it. Posted Imageactually, i just got a beautiful soup pot from my partner's sister, and will probably make it anyway, and just not grind the chicken up, and leave the veggies in.

i do wish they made a sugar-free, or at least lower in sugar, gator-ade. if i'm not feeling well it tastes way too sweet to me.

thanks for that recipe, O. that sounds good. and now that i the recipe, i hope i'll never have to use it. Posted Imageactually, i just got a beautiful soup pot from my partner's sister, and will probably make it anyway, and just not grind the chicken up, and leave the veggies in.

i do wish they made a sugar-free, or at least lower in sugar, gator-ade. if i'm not feeling well it tastes way too sweet to me.

HI,  There is a LOWER sugar gator-aid, it is called G-2 gator aid which my doctor recommended.  Hope this helps  : )

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here