Is surgery really my best option for Crohn's treatment? - General IBD Discussion - IBD Support Group Forums - IBDsupport.org

Advertisement

Photo

Is surgery really my best option for Crohn's treatment?

Crohnssurgery prednisone steroids Humira Imuran azathioprine resection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jcb1018

jcb1018

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Advertisement

I have severe ileal Crohn's with some appearance at the beginning of the colon, as well. I have been on Humira for a year now, and though I have gotten some relief with it, it hasn't stopped the disease from flaring up completely. I took prednisone for a few months in the past but hated the side effects and didn't see much remission while taking it, so I have refused to take it since then. I am allergic to Imuran (azathioprine), and Pentasa was not strong enough to work on my condition. My doctor has now told me that he is recommending a resection to get rid of the diseased part of the small intestine since I'm refusing prednisone. I asked him if there is possibly another medication I can take with Humira instead of prednisone to keep the disease under control, and he said there isn't. I've heard of other people taking Humira more frequently or in combination with other drugs to keep their Crohn's under control instead of constant doses of steroids, but none of that has been recommended to me. I'm only 30 and would prefer not to start the surgery process this early if I don't have to. Do you think I am getting good advice, or do you think other medication (besides prednisone) taken with my Humira is a possibility I should explore with another doctor who doesn't seem so focused on surgery- or steroid-related options? Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement

#2 caledon

caledon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

I would get a second opinion.

There are a lot of Chohn's treatments beyond steroids.

Also consider in looking into alternative treatments to help improve your health as well. Before I got sick I did not believe in this sort of thing, but since then I have seen some people have success.

#3 jcb1018

jcb1018

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:08 AM

Thank you so much for your feedback. I appreciate it very much. I'm definitely going to get a second opinion and look into some alternative health treatments.

#4 rbbchina

rbbchina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

Treatment for Crohn's disease usually involves drug therapy or, in certain cases, surgery. There is currently no cure for the disease, and there is no one treatment that works for everyone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crohnssurgery, prednisone, steroids, Humira, Imuran, azathioprine, resection

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here