Is it possible to be misdiagnosed with UC instead of Crohn's? - General IBD Discussion - IBD Support Group Forums - IBDsupport.org

Advertisement

Photo

Is it possible to be misdiagnosed with UC instead of Crohn's?

UC ulcerative colitis IBD inflammatory bowel disease Crohns

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lbr24

lbr24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so hopefully I'm not repeating a topic (tried scouring through).

24 years old. Was recently diagnosed with UC by my GI after a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Prior to this, I'd been experiencing diarrhea and significant bloating about 5x per week for over a year. Have had gas and cramping going all the way back to childhood. Was a very thin child because anything I ate made me feel sick, so I basically told myself that eating hurt and avoided it when possible. Parents always told me the source of my pain was eating too much junk food or being "stressed out" and so I never sought medical help for what I was feeling, despite the fact that I was underweight.

Just wondering how rare it is to be misdiagnosed? I ask because recently I've been experiencing a fair bit of pain on the right side of my abdomen, just below my ribs, and an achy lower back. After some amateur Google-sleuthing, I worry that these might be the symptoms of Crohn's.

My symptoms are as follows:

[*]Diarrhea/loose stools 5-10 times day. 5x per day is a "good" day for me.
    [*]Iron deficiency
    [*]B12 deficiency (don't need B12 shots though, it appears that I absorb tablets fine)
    [*]Rectal bleeding/stinging/itching/pain from small tears, I presume
    [*]A significant amount of mucous in stools (borderline alarming some days)
    [*]Abdominal bloating (at it's worst, I appear to be roughly 5 months pregnant)
    [*]Skin rash on my chest, upper arms, and knees
    [*]Stabbing pain in my lower left leg
    [*]Aching joints, knees in particular
    [*]Sore eyes (however I work on computer screens approx. 12 hours/day so It's probably that)
    [*]Feeling I have to go and then nothing happens
    [*]Feeling like I don't have to go and then something happens
    [*]Occasionally nausea and vomiting
    [/list]

Have had three ulcers in the last year, if that means anything. (Took Tecta for about 6 months and haven't had an issue since). Unlike typical Crohn's sufferers though, I have not yet experienced much weight loss. I'm about 5 pounds less than my usual this week but I've been feeling much worse than usual and attribute it to water loss.

I'm seeing my GP on Tuesday to get a prescription for my UC. Should I ask him about my fears about misdiagnosis? My GI has ordered a barium x-ray and an ultrasound for gall stones as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisement

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here