#1 Claireuk

Claireuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

Advertisement
Hi,
Does anyone suffer with lower back pain after diarrhea? I am currently waiting to have a sigmoidoscopy to see what the problem is as I have diarrhea daily and have had it for many years. I have been told that it is probably IBS but the lower back pain doesn't seem to be very common. I have heard that IBD leads to lower back pain.
My worst time is in the mornings and I have to take anti diarrheals. After this my back aches all day - it is definitely linked to the diarrhea. Any replies would be great.
Claire
Suffered with Ibs-diarrhea for approx 10 years, but severe for 7.

Advertisement

#2 Rachel(Madleofan)

Rachel(Madleofan)

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I suffer with UC and suffer from lower back pain. About a 2 months ago I had severe diarroah, sadly my back ache still remains and my consultant dosn't seem concerned :(
--
Diagnosed with UC August 2003
Taking Colazal & Oral Methotrexate

#3 NMcP

NMcP

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

I too have UC. I have lower backpain all the time. It's usually at it's worst in the am when I get up.

#4 Claireuk

Claireuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

Thanks to you both for your replies. I have had problems for 10 years but for the last 5 it is been a nightmare. I suffer with diarrhea every day and am always so tired. I am waiting for my appointment - which I am terrrified about but at least I will know. Do you suffer with tiredness and diarrhea as well. I don't have any blood - do you always have blood with IBD? I do have a lot of mucous though.

#5 Rachel(Madleofan)

Rachel(Madleofan)

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

Yes I got very tired when I was in a flair. I could sleep for 12 hours easy.....sometimes more.

I didn't always get blood but I did get it quite frequently. I can't speak for other people though, I have no idea if it's something everyone gets with IBD.

It'll be good to find out whats wrong though, then at least they can fix it. Have you seen anyone about this before? have you had blood tests?
--

#6 Claireuk

Claireuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I had blood tests a couple of months ago which didn't show anything unusual. I have my test in 3 weeks time which I am terrified about. It is a problem that I have had for a while but I have finally decided that enough is enough and I'm not getting any better. My dad has also had problems for years - he bled often but was too scared to go and have any tests. This is why I am slightly suspicious as I know these problems can be inherited through the genes. Even though I have the tummy aches, diarrhoea, back ache, tiredness I don't get any blood.
Thanks for listening and I hope that your back aches starts to feel better.
Claire

#7 Rachel(Madleofan)

Rachel(Madleofan)

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

I strange that nothing shows in your blood since there are usually markers for inflamation in the blood. Of course the only real way to find out is to have a sigmoid or colonoscopy. If this is the test you're having theres really no need to worry, I know how it feels though. I was frightened to death when I had my first one.

You'll be sedated and its a completly painless procedure, its more uncomfortable than anything, but you'll more than likley be to too sleepy to worry about it.
--

#8 Claireuk

Claireuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

Nothing showed up in my blood so perhaps it won't be IBD. I'm having a sigmoidoscopy. Thanks for the advice and yep I'm also scared to death. Oh good the doctor said that I will be sedated but it makes me feel better talking to someone who has had it done as I don't know anyone who has. The only thing is that I have to take imodiums everyday in the mornings and I'm not quite sure what to do. I have to take the laxatives the day before to empty everything out (thank goodness about that) and can't eat the whole day before so I should be empty, but not quite sure what to do about the imodiums. Do you think I should just take them as normal. If I'm being sedated and empty perhaps I won't need to take them.??
Does it take very long to do? and will I be really drowsy afterwards?
Thanks so much for your advice. It really helps to talk to someone who knows what I'm feeling like.

#9 Rachel(Madleofan)

Rachel(Madleofan)

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:40 AM

I didnt take any medication on the day of the colonoscopy, but I'm not sure what you should do about your imodium since its not something I've been prescribed often.

The procedure dosn't take long and you will feel sleepy after. You'll remain in the hospital for 30 mins or so after the procedure to make sure you're ok and then you can have some toast and a hot drink and from then you're free to go.

You might feel tired after, you may not. Last time I had mine I wasn't so tired, but I've had times when I've gone home to bed.

Honestly it's one of those things where once you've had it you wonder what all the worry was about.
--

#10 Lizbec

Lizbec

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

Hi Claire.You will be sent instructions about what to do about medication beforehand; i seem to remember that you are told to stop taking things like immodium about 4 days before the test.
I have to say that i don't find the test completely painless but do agree that you are given enough sedation and pain relief to make it bearable.And you do realise that it wasn't as bad as you were expecting!!
The nerves that supply the bowel and your back are the same which is why you get lower back pain-i only know that from doing a massage course and the anatomy and physiology that went with it! I find that knowing about how the body works helps to make it less scary- it all makes more sense. My first symptom, before i even got diarrhoea or anything, was back pain. i was seeing a chiropractor for months before i started passing blood and realised it was more serious than i thought...but that doesn't mean you have anything serious.
Hope it all goes ok.
liz
xx
Diagnosed UC in january 2003.Disease still active;hoping for remission

#11 NMcP

NMcP

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

Ask the doc about the immodium. It may be prescribed to keep your colon from having spasms.

I had my colonoscopy at the tender age of 47. Up until that point I had never even had a blood test. Needless to say I was pretty nervous. But I was knocked out and the worst thing afterwards was gas. I slept the entire day away after I got home. In hindsight, it was a piece of cake!

I did have some blood and some mucous with my first big flare of UC (that lasted 2 years...I was just too chicken to go to a doctor). Once I started on my meds, it went away. I do have diaree from time to time, but I'm sure that is due to poor diet choices. I do notice that my back hurts a lot at night (mostly when i wake up). Of course that could be due to a crappy mattress.

IBD has changed some things in my life. But things could be a lot worse. I lost my sister last year to a hemorrhagic stroke. She was only 49. That puts a whole different spin on my attitude. I know things could be a lot worse for me.

#12 Claireuk

Claireuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for your replies. I will phone to see what I should do about the immodium. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll still be terrified when the time comes but your replies have made me feel a bit better. Fingers crossed it all goes ok.

#13 survivor3

survivor3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

Hello,

I had both a colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy (diagnosis - rectal cancer). Anyway, both times I had to take laxatives and/or enemas to clean myself out prior to the procedure and no food 24 hours before. As for taking the immodium, if its for D, I would say you should not take it as that would defeat the purpose of the laxatives/enemas (double check this with your DR).

Usually with a sigmoidoscopy you are not sedated, however you can request to be (I did the 2nd time, mainly because the procedure is more of an emabarrassment than it is painful). If you are not sedated, you may feel slight cramping. Both the sigmoidoscopy and the colonoscopy procedures are pretty short, and I was able to eat right away following both. Some people complain of slight gas pains following the procedures, but I didn't have any.

No worries, piece of cake. Good luck to you. Hope all is good news on your results!

#14 NMcP

NMcP

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

I may have been misleading in my previous post. The colonoscopy was a breeze! The sigmoidoscopy hurt like hell because I had prolapsed hemms. I doubt it will be too much of a problem for you : )

#15 Claireuk

Claireuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

Thanks everyone. It really does help to hear from other people.
I have been sent my 2 lots of laxatives and been instructed not to eat anything for 24 hours beforehand. I see what you mean :it would have the opposite effects to the laxatives. Its just to have to go to the hospital when I am worried, I can't imagine getting there without the immodium, as I can't even go out my front door without them. I guess I should be completely empty so I shouldn't be able to go anyway. I just must remember that when I start to worry.
Thanks so much everybody I can't tell you how much your replies have meant to me. I'll let you know what happens.
Claire :(

#16 survivor3

survivor3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, you will be pretty cleaned out, but I had the same worry. To alleviate that somewhat, use the restroom prior to leaving the house, again when you get to the Dr., and wear a large pad (it will give some peace of mind).

Good luck

#17 Rachel(Madleofan)

Rachel(Madleofan)

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:44 PM

Just a note. You can eat plain white rice, chicken, clear soup and some kinds of fish. Its know as a picolax diet here in the uk and I was eating before my colonoscopy while I was in hospital. I didn't actually know this was allowed, so even though its totally unexciting its better than eating nothing at all imo.

On another note, I went to see the nurse today for my methotrexate and I told her again about my terrible back ache. I told her after the methotrexate (and while on steroid treatment) the pain went, but a few days before I'm due methotrexate again the pain returns. She told me it sounded like a had a condition called Sacroiliitis which is inflamation on the joint in the lower back and something that people with chrons and colitis can get.
--

#18 Claireuk

Claireuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for the information. It did say that I could eat clear soup, bovril, fluids etc.. but what exactly do they mean by clear soup? Presumably soup without bits in it???I didn't know about the white rice though. I think I would rather stick to fluids so that I know I am empty and prepared. The back info is interesting. Thanks a lot for your help.
Hi Survivor 3 thanks for the reassurance and advice.
Claire

#19 Rachel(Madleofan)

Rachel(Madleofan)

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

By clear soup they mean soup with no colouring i.e not tomato soup.

Just a note, the scope I had after eating rice ect was the best scope I've had. It's a personal choice I guess, but I find it very hard to go 24 hours without food. Even the rice and soup wasn't enough last time :(
--

#20 Claireuk

Claireuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:21 PM

Yes I think I will struggle with no food. Do you have any ideas where I could get clear soup from or do most supermarkets tend to have it? It isn't something that I have ever had to look for before.

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here