Advertisement

Photo

Can Probiotics cause/worsen Constipation?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lucyb54

lucyb54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

Advertisement
I have Crohn's-C most of the time. My biggest complaint though, was gas. Terrible, explosive, wet gas. So, I thought I would try probiotics (I'm taking Natren dairy free starter. I'm on my second week)and although the gas is not gone, but a lot better, now I'm severely constipated--even worse than usual. What gives? I thought probiotics were supposed to help this. But reading an earlier post, I'm seeing that if firms stools??? I can't get a doctor's appointment until 2/5.

Advertisement

#2 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

A probiotic can take a little while to work.
Are you taking it at least 30 minutes before or after food?

I take www.culturelle.com You want want to read more about probiotics, which should only help. I can't see how they could make you c.

Maybe you need to look into your diet. Are you eating and drinking the right foods? Have you given yourself an elimination diet?

If c. by the way, I take about 3 or 4 stewed prunes and that does it. Any more, and I get
d. Sometimes I eat a few canned apricots, like 2, and that can do it too. Do you eat enough fruit?
Oatmeal? Smooth, not too rough.

You might want to look at the links below,
for IBS but works for us, too.

Soluble Fiber/ Insoluble fiber
../diet/fiber1.asp
../

O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#3 lucyb54

lucyb54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

It's very hard for me with crohn's-c (wet gas being the predominant symptom) to do or take what other people take for crohn's since I don't have the usual symptoms of diarrhea. What makes someone go into remission--lessens the loose bowels, probably does the same for me and probably makes me constipated. It would only make sense. So I am at a total loss as to what I can do for myself.

#4 Kat671

Kat671

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

For me probiotics do make me it more difficult to go but it is worth it for the amount of help I get!
The hard part with probiotic is finding the right dose for you. ((hugs))
Faith, Hope, and Love,
Katrina
http://icandme.9.forumer.com/

#5 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:39 PM

quote:
just try to eat by tolerance.

Lucy: well, your doctor is on the right track with
above quote. But the trick is to find the right tolerance for you, right.

Did you give yourself an elminination diet? I wrote everything that went in my mouth (food, drinks, ingredients in everything) down for 10 days. Made a note at the end of each day what did me in (I had d. gas, bloating and then heartburn)

At the end of 10 days, I made a Yes, a No, a Maybe list and stayed away from the Nos and Maybes. I refined the list for 6 months, then starting feeding back some of the maybes and, later, some of the nos. Some took 18 months,
and I found I still made mistakes 5 years later but mostly I knew after 6 months what I could and could not eat, and drink. And 10 years later, I more or less stick by not eating or drinking things left on my No list.

I know they are my enemies, they don't like me, so it easy to stay away from them because I feel so much better without them.

It's the soluble and insoluble food lists that are helpful on the links...I know it is for IBS but with the elimination diet, it can help us too.

O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#6 pb4

pb4

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

Mystified Posted Image

I use Prodiem stool bulker (fibre supplement) it's similar to metamucil. I also have IBS along with my CD and one of my sisters has IBS and believe me it's one of the reasons why my GI told me to take a stool bulker daily for the rest of my life...it's important for both IBDers and IBSers to get enough fibre everyday, start out slow and increase slowly if necessary.

Lucy Posted Image

A stool bulker (fibre supplement) helps with either C or D and it does not make you constipated, it regulates your stools from either C and/or D...that's why it's important to get enough fibre in your system daily, that's why my GI told me to take it daily for the rest of my life and it's been 3 yrs and I'm glad I listened to him.

Initially it can cause gas and bloat but that's normal (even happens to healthy people) it's just your body adjusting to it that's why you have to take it everyday...I can even tolerate eating firbreous foods without getting gassy or bloated, heck, when my periods come I don't even get bloated anymore. It has to be taken with plenty of water, and plenty of water should be drank everyday anyways especially for IBDers who are prone to getting dehydrated as a result of having D.

Fibre helps sweep the bowels clean of bacteria and I've already mentioned bacterial problems regarding IBDers.

Posted Image
My bum is broken...there's a big crack down the middle of it! LOL :)

#7 Kat671

Kat671

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

Probiotics got me to stop loosing lots of blood with every BM, brought down how many times I would go, lessoned the amount of gas so I could tollerate more foods, and no more problems with yeast.

I can't afford to have things too thick either since my Pelvic floor is a mess and too much straining is a problem...but the probiotic was worth it anyway!

I tried others but was ammazed at the big difference when I gave in and went the VSL route.
Faith, Hope, and Love,
Katrina
http://icandme.9.forumer.com/

#8 pb4

pb4

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:48 PM

A good probiotic to start with is primadophilus reuteri made by natures way...it has guaranteed intestinal release, only one/day is needed and it's affordable, but it must be kept cold.

IBDers are prone to having bacterial over-growth, taking a probiotic daily helps maintain a healthy balance in the gut flora.

For me it cut back more BM's and has helped with urgency some too....but IBD is quite individualistic so everyone may find probiotics helping in different ways for their symptoms...There was even a study done on VSL# (very expensive) for UCers and most went into remission in the study, with the rest finding at least some improvements....the over-growth of bacteria exacerbates IBD symptoms and probiotics generally helps this way.

Researchers and even some GI's are finally cluing in to the fact that there are some things other then RX that can help immensely with IBD...and keep exercising and drinking lots of water (I do too)...also, my GI told me to take a fibre supplement daily for the rest of my life which has also helped tons, with eliminating gas and bloat and mucus and giving me formed stools and less frequency.

Often it's a combination of things that can help us feel better.

Posted Image
My bum is broken...there's a big crack down the middle of it! LOL :)

#9 lucyb54

lucyb54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

How does it help you? What symptoms does it relieve or improve? I swear I think I do everything right with my diet, exercise, and plenty of water. There are so many schools of thought about which probiotic strain or how many different strains you should take. I only want it to help this excessive wet gas without making anything else worse.

#10 lucyb54

lucyb54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

OppOnn:
Thank for the links. I am concerned that the culturelle is only one strain of probiotic. I always thought you would need a balance of several especially the bidofactum types for the lowel intestinal gas. If it works for you, great. Did you have gas like me that it helped?
I am also very familiar with Heather's site but it's really geared toward IBS, in fact she's a little concerned about Crohnies taking the acacia fiber she recommends. Even my doctor told me you have watch out how much supplemnental and dietary fiber to consume because of the inflammation situation and just try to eat by tolerance. So far, I haven't found the right amount nor diet that doesn't make more cramping and gas.

#11 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

Lucy: Did you read the links I gave above? You don't say a word about them!!! Did you actually give yourself an elimination diet?

Knowledge is power. Research. And research this bb, at least 2 or 3 pages. There's a lot to learn.

You have to help yourself to a certain extent and can't rely on others, not even doctors. We are all different.

O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#12 Mystified

Mystified

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:19 AM

Hi pb4,
just wanted to know what sort of fibre supplement are you taking...i'm takin Librax occasionally when i have soft stools from my IBS...It does help but only to a certain extent...Each IBS "flare" will last me a few days to more than a week so settle down...and it happens esp near to my period everytime...I think there is a link...just tired of having to wait so long for things to be ok each month...so was thinking of trying someting for a faster relief from it...thanks =)

#13 BadGuts

BadGuts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

People need to realize probiotics are meant for CRITICAL CARE not long term use. It is not a panacea that cures all intestinal dysfunction. If you're taking probiotics and still dealing with constipation, think about the issue of peristalsis. 
If you have been chronically constipated for many years the tone of the colon which is a smooth muscle may be too lax to expel waste. If you are taking probiotics and NOT ELIMINATING YOU ARE CAUSING  FERMENTATION AND PUTREFACTION IN YOUR COLON.

It's that simple. 

If it's not working...STOP DOING IT.

#14 BadGuts

BadGuts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

Lucy: Did you read the links I gave above? You don't say a word about them!!! Did you actually give yourself an elimination diet?

Knowledge is power. Research. And research this bb, at least 2 or 3 pages. There's a lot to learn.

You have to help yourself to a certain extent and can't rely on others, not even doctors. We are all different.

O

O

You need to check your condescending tone. You are not correct in this case and your smug attitude doesn't serve you. Why don't YOU do some research?

#15 BadGuts

BadGuts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

A stool bulker (fibre supplement) helps with either C or D and it does not make you constipated, it regulates your stools from either C and/or

I'm sorry but this is not always the case. If one has an issue with motility and cannot move waste from the colon this is the exact opposite of what they want to do.

#16 sicktummy

sicktummy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

I tried probiotics (Floraster and a generic that was Walgreens Super Probiotic Digestive Support) and the whole time I took them (several weeks) I had even worse sticky mushy not formed stool. I quit taking them and had a near immediate return of my normal (though still mushy and sticky) stool. So I can't take them.

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here