Hida Scan - possible gallbladder surgery - General IBD Discussion - IBD Support Group Forums - IBDsupport.org

Advertisement

Photo

Hida Scan - possible gallbladder surgery

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 09:59 PM

Advertisement

How many have had a hida scan? My GI says that he thinks my gallbladder may not be functioning properly because the CT showed that the gallbladder is enlarged at the "neck". I have no idea what this means but my doc also said. 50/50 chance removal of the gallbladder will help the pain. Do I really want to do this. How many have had good results after gallbladder removal? He is kind of hinting that if I can control the problem without surgery I should. What do you think?

Advertisement

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 03:57 PM

I,too, had a HIDA scan this week. My Gastro's nurse just called back. The results were that the "ejection" was 21% and they referred me to my surgeon. I was somewhat relieved to be referred as I've been having pain since this fall.BUT,then the nurse said since I have no gallstones the doctor would "discuss" the pros and cons of surgery with me next Friday.What is everyones experience? I need to feel better. Is the test based on a "perfect" HIDA of 100% function? I am very confusd.I've heard 30% is the marker and 35% is the marker.Help?

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 05:40 PM

Your best bet would probably be to discuss it with your surgeon. I too have been told both 30 and 35%; so I guess it depends on who you talk too.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 12:07 PM

Bellyknot,

Iam going through the same thing and my HIDA scan took 5 hours before in finally concluded. I am being scheduled for gallbladder surgery. However, because of the scar tissue they found in the colon I am not sure this will help my constant constipation and pain. Please let me know the outcome. GOOD LUCK
Deborah

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 01:13 AM

JR
Thanks for you answer. So are you going for the surgery? Or are you going to take a wait and see. I asked my doc if there was pain involved and he said only if there is an existing gallbladder problem. No problem...no pain. So, do you think thats it? I'd love to get rid of this pain but I'm not real keen on going under the knife. Who knows the outcome and then its too late. Decisions decisions. Well. I don't have to decide yet but like I said I get the distinct feeling from my GI that he thinks I should leave well enough alone.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:15 PM

i am having a hidascan this wednesday on the 26th of march. i can't wait to get it over with. i have been in agony with gallbladder pains for 3 mos now. i live on lortab and phenergren. i had a ultra sound which was normal. which is no surprise!! my sister had a normal ultra sound and she had a strawberry gallbladder. she was in agony for 8 mos and the dr. didn't beleive her because all her tests were normal. finally she went into his office and demanded her gallbladder be taken out .. they did and her gallbladder was a mess. My sister and I are both RN's with BSN degrees and understand the process of trying to get into the surgeon. i am now going through the same trouble she went through. i can barely work because the pain and nausea. i donot have dirrhea but have the other extreme. i am hoping this hidascan comes out below 35% so i can get my gallbladder out. i enjoy reading your postings i don't feel so alone in my plight.. thank you for all your good insights. i hate this gallbladder problem controlling my life. i am trying to get my masters degree and am to sick to finish the courses.. i just want the gallbladder out and move on !! Posted Image good luck to you all !! Posted Image

#7 ~JR~

~JR~

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 02:08 AM

Keep me posted!!! JR

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 11:25 PM

Got my results back today. My CCK test showed a 4.5% function; so I am having surgery. I hope my crohns being active; wont prevent me from having a laproscopic procedure.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:43 PM

JR
Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm going to have anything done either. Seems to me that there are alot of people on the D board with IBS after gallbladder removal. I'm going natural too. I don't even know now if I'll go through with the test. How long did the pain last?

#10 ~JR~

~JR~

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 01:56 AM

I know what you mean about decisions. I saw my doctor today and he told me that it was totally up to me as to what to do. He did offer that he has had patients in similar situations get better after cholecystectomy and he has had an equal number continue to have not only the same pain but also increased problems with diarrhea following cholecystectomy. I wish things were more clear cut. For now, I am looking into herbal possibilities, and also to see if making any dietary changes makes any difference. I just think that too many doctors take the issue of gallbladder removal too lightly. Yes, we can live without it, but that does not mean it does not play an important role in digestion. I would love to keep up with you to see how you progress with your decision, and I will do the same. It is so frustrating. JR

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 11:37 PM

So far the only thing that works for me is no food for 24hrs and codeine. After that I'm good for about a week. I'm glad you told me the test pain won't last. I guess I'll have it just to see how bad my gallbladder function is.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 11:34 PM

Is a gallbladder functioning "perfectly"at 100%? Is that why 30% is used to show some disfuntion? This HIDA scan has me so confused.Good luck Stormtrackr...I'll be watching the boards for how you do and saying a prayer!

#13 ~JR~

~JR~

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 01:58 AM

Just one more thing. The CCK can cause pain even with no gallbladder problem because it also affects various parts of the GI tract. Even the information from the company that makes it warns about pyloric and intestinal spasms with CCK infusion, and this does not indicate gallbladder disease per se. JR

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 01:01 AM

Yes! Please let us know. So I take it your sis is doing better without her GB? That's the first positive I've heard.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:48 PM

I had a hida cck scan done today; and the first hour was a breeze. When I was injected for the second part; I wanted to be sick for a good 5 minutes before everything started to settle. The nurse told me some people experience it; and some don't; and it had no indication as to the outcome of the test. I was told at my doctors the exact opposite. If you felt the nausea; cramping; and pain when injected; you had a malfunctioning gb. I will get my results back friday. My test was scheduled because my gallbladder was contracted during a CT Scan a week ago Friday; for my pelvic area. I've had a lower right sided pain since September of last year. Don't know how my gb came into play.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 04:24 AM

dabombmom,
I just now got the results from my test and my gallbladder is working just fine. Hm-m. Well, I'm relieved and hope I never have to have that test again. Laying on my back for 30 minutes was so uncomfortable. This is the worst position for me. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me but I'm really sick of it. I have right sided pain that radiates around my whole belly and ribcage. I do have scarring on my pancreas which indicates chronic pancreatitis. The only thing is my blood tests show no indication of inflamation. Any ideas? Flux?
Good luck with your surgery, I hope it helps.

#17 ~JR~

~JR~

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 12:18 AM

Bellyknot:
I'm sorry. You would probably like a better idea of what to expect during your HIDA. It is performed in the nuclear medicine department. You will be taken into a room with a scanner that will be positioned over your abdomen, but is not at all claustrophobic. They will inject you with a radioactive tracer which has no effect at all in terms of side effects, and then you will lie under the scanner for a period of time (30 to 60 minutes depending on your individual situation). Then a nurse comes in and injects you with the CCK. You continue to be scanned during this time, and you may have some abdominal cramping. Some people do, some people don't. You will continue with another 15 to 30 minutes of scanning, again, depending on your situation).

I have seen several studies indicating people with IBS often have sluggish gallbladder functioning, presumably related to neuromuscular dysfunction of some sort. The problem is making the decision to have the gallbladder removed, which too many doctors take too lightly in such cases.

Anyway, good luck with your scan. JR

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 12:08 AM

I would think so.

#19 ~JR~

~JR~

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 11:54 PM

Hi Bellyknot:

This post strikes right at me. I started having RUQ pain about a year ago. Ultrasounds, CT scans, MRIs showed nothing. Recently HIDA scan did show a diminished ejection fraction at 33% (normal being 35%), so my doctor has given me the same 50/50 odds. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if it is gallbladder sluggishness or Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction, which is a spasming of the sphincter muscle that allows bile to flow from the gallbladder to the small intestine. The HIDA was pretty uncomfortable for me when they injected the CCK. It caused what felt like the worst IBS attack of my life. A lot of people say they don't experience any pain with it, but for me it was very uncomfortable. The only good news is that the intense pain only lasts a few minutes and then rapidly begins to subside. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. JR

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 11:48 AM

Bellyknot,

Cronic pancreatis is an awful thing to deal with! My brothers father-in-law has been dealing with it for years. His has bad pain in back, stomach and his stomach bloats out really far and get hard. When it does that he has to go to the hospital and have it emptied. He is in there for at least 3 days at a time about once a month or more.
I havent got my surgery yet still waiting for the insurance company. But if I go to emergancy I get what ever doctor is on call. I prefer to know who Im dealing with.
well keep me posted on how you doing.
Deborah

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here