#1 ANDREA37

ANDREA37

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 10:28 PM

Advertisement
Hi. I would like to know once and for all if Imodium is safe to use if you have Crohn's disease. I have gotten conflicting opinions from 3 different GI docs. 2 said it was safe, while the other said it was EXTREMELY dangerous and should be taken only very occasionally. Do any of you who have Crohn's take Imodium daily? I have suspected Crohn's and have been taken 3 or 4 Imodiums each day. I just want to know if anyone else does this too. Thanks, Andrea

Advertisement

#2 ANDREA37

ANDREA37

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 10:42 PM

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I suppose doctors are always going to give conflicting advise regarding Imodium. It seems as though they are more liberal with it if you have IBS than if you have Crohn's. Anyone know why this is? It makes sense about not wanting to mask the Crohn's symptoms, but on the other hand, of course I want to mask them...who wants to have D all the time. I wonder if Imodium can cause a crohn's flare up. I've heard of it causing dilation/perforation of the colon.

#3 ANDREA37

ANDREA37

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:26 PM

Thank you very much for the responses. O, I do take a probiotic everyday. What is the name of your enzyme again? A while back you sent me your food yes and no list. It was very helpful. I no longer drink anything but water, which helps a little. I haven't really done a strict elimination diet. I was the one who did the bagels only for 4 months. When my doc told me it was safe to take Imodium, I started eating everything again, gained all the weight I had lost backPosted Image I just said to myself, I guess it doesn't matter what I eat as long as I take the Imodiums. I was trying to pretend that I had IBS only. However, I know in my gut I must have Crohn's. The bleeding, the fevers, and the elevated sed rates are confirming this for me. Now I just have to get the solid diagnosis, and I can come to grips with what it is I have once and for all and take the appropriate measures. Over a year ago I was ready to do that, when my first GI diagnosed Crohn's. When the second one said it was just IBS, he only set me back and confused the hell out of me. This third one hasn't done any tests of his own yet. He is just going on the others results. Thanks Andrea

#4 ANDREA37

ANDREA37

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:44 PM

Thanks O. That sounds like very good advice. Hopefully this 3rd doc will get to the bottom of things. I agree that I will probably want to celebrate when I finally do get a solid diagnosis.
Hopefully, if it is Crohn's it will be a mild case like your's. The first GI did say it was mild Crohn's colitis. Is there any truth to people saying that mild cases generally stay mild?

#5 ANDREA37

ANDREA37

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 10:46 PM

I just wanted to add Imodium has never ever made me constipated. It makes me go to the bathroom like a normal person. Sadly, I do think I have built up a bit of a tolerance though. I need 4 now to do what 2 used to do.
Andrea

#6 Kez Piper

Kez Piper

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 05:34 PM

I have Crohn's and a stoma. I was prescribed Imodium by my gastroenterologist, so I guess it's OK.

It helped me a lot but my max dosage per day was 8 capsules

Kez

#7 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 06:23 PM

Pleased you are going in the right direction.

My Crohn's has been mild all along, but my GI # 5 did tell me it may not stay mild and could flare.
That's why I take no risks - and, although, in remission, I still only eat the foods and drinks I know I can and don't risk the others. I'm not giving it any ammunition to flare, and it's working so far.

We were invited to dinner recently, while on vacation, and I was asked to send a list of foods and drinks I could not tolerate before we went. I sent it. The hostess decided we'd go out to eat Japanese! I guess it seemed like a lot. But it wasn't really. I can still eat so many good things, so many. Anyway, she called me after the Japanese dinner, concerned, because I ate very well, small portions though, and asked if I was all right. I was.

It is my understand that, so far, there is no cure for Crohn's.

Just get a diagnosis, and go out and celebrate.
I know that sounds funny to others but I know you
will know what I'm saying, as will anyone who has gone years without a solid diagnosis.

Let us know what happens.
O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#8 pb4

pb4

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 12:32 AM

Is Imodium a non prescription drug that's suppose to stop diarhea? If so, it's only meant to be used on occassion because these drugs build up an immunity in your body quickly and then stop working and could cause problems. Having a diseased colon wouldn't likely include you as a candidate as using this type of medicine as it could cause more stressful problems for your already stressed colon. I have no faith personally in dr.s, and I find most of them would agree with you about taking something like Imodium so they don't have to deal with you. Sorry, that's just my opinion from personal experiances with many dr.s. I've been sick with crohns colitis for 13 yrs. and never been in remission(have the occasional OK day) but I would never use drugstore products like that, most of them are labled for people with intestinal diseases to consult your dr. before using. Take care. Posted Image
My bum is broken...there's a big crack down the middle of it! LOL :)

#9 Lizbec

Lizbec

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 09:50 AM

Hi Andrea - I, too, have had conflicting advice about this. My consultant says it's ok to take wheneveryou need it;my gp says take it only occasionally and on the packet it says don't take it if you have intestinal bleeding!
I wouldn't recommend taking it daily, partly because it could mask more serious flare-ups and also, it makes it harder to tell whether or not your medication is working. it can also cause rebound constipation, which is not so good! I tend to use it when i have something i need to get through and need that extra bit of confidence.

good luck!
liz
xx
Diagnosed UC in january 2003.Disease still active;hoping for remission

#10 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:07 PM

Hello A:
You might also want to consider - if you haven' already - going on an elimination diet - taking out the trigger foods which are probably making the d. worse.

Altough in remission for over 4 years, I still take few if any risks - and I don't eat my trigger foods, or drink my trigger drinks.

I found out what they are - as those who know me know, so tune out here - by writing everything single thing down what went in my mouth for 10 days, and writing at the bottom of each day how my stomach behaved, or didn't. After 10 days, I put all my foods in a Yes, a No, and a Maybe list.
Then fine-tuned that for about 6 months, and kept on fine-tuning it for over a year. One gets to know what causes d. (my biggest problem) and heartburn (which came after, big-time) and I also got rid of the gas, the bloating, the general discomfort and, eventually, the gurgling - as long as I don't lay down for an hour or so after eating, esp. dinner.

I also take 2 digestive enzymes immediately before my main meal (used to take two after lunch, too, and one after each meal) - and I take a probiotic.
Plus Calcium (with magnesium, Vit d, other minerals) and a multi-vit, also Vit K (for calcium to get to bones - people with Crohn's can develop
osteoporosis so the calcium and Vit D and magnesium, etc. are v. important, whatever your age, because your bones can be depleted with some of the meds you may be taking - and 20 and under is when they need all the help they can get, as well as later.)

O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#11 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:17 PM

A. As I said in another post, I am concerned about all the Immodiium you are taking, and daily too.

Whatever the GI's say, I think it messes up your whole body. Even one a day.

I take it once in a blue moon, and carry one around with me, in case, because I feel better if it is there, esp. when traveling. But I've neve had to use it, thank goodness.

My Primary Care doctor dislikes Immodium. Wouldn't even let me have it once when I had food poisoning. Wanted me to take Peptobismal instead. But that was less affective and I didn't listen to her after 2 days too long suffering.

I really think you might want to go to a third GI. But make sure you have all the test results with you from procedures and blood tests.

It's offputting not having a solid diagnosis, I know. And you must put that to rest, if only for peace of mind, but also, of course, to help get you better, and off that Immodium.

Just because a capsule endo is next on the list, doesn't mean that another GI might not want to do another, more affordable test. And, when did you have your last colonoscopy?
O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#12 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:23 PM

A doctor friend of mine once said something I always remembered. If you have something serious wrong with you at any time, go to 3 not 2 specalists. She said No. 1 will say one thing and No. 2 will probably say something different so you need to go to a third for a good perspective.
Wise words for you, too, at this time.

Seems to me you are, like I was, in denial. And the Immodium is being used like a band aid. How about trying a strict elimination diet again while you pursue a solid diagnosis.

I have a high sed rate too. Goes up and down (was 110 at one time, now about 98, and only goes down to about 47, sometimes. I'm probably older than you, and 47 would be fine for my age, but a high sed rate is a sign of an inflammation, so along with the blood and fevers, it may be Crohn's. And a solid diagnosis isn' going to change your denial process, but may help you focus more on the right way to get and feel better.

Believe me, I went out for a champagne celebration
when I finally got my solid Crohn's diagnosis, after 4 years of GI's saying I had this and that but only No. 1 saying it was "suspected Crohn's"
and he was so inexperiened he didn't have the right tube to go far up enough to find my Crohn's when he did his colonoscopy. It was only from the radiologist who did the Upper/Lower GI series that I got a "suspected Crohn's diagnosis 2 weeks or so later. It took GI # 5 (!) to say that radiologist was not just good but supberb (his words) and he'd trust what she said. Then, he gave me a colonoscopy, looking, I must admit (!) for the
inflammation, and I heard him say "there it is,
Crohn's" which was confirmed by the pathology
report, along with a polyp.

Go for it. You'll feel so much better, the relief will be enormous, and if it is something else, you will be one step ahead.
O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here