Gabrielle

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:12 AM

Advertisement
g'day Ukpup Posted Image

I note on the Update/Intro thread that you take azathioprine but you don't mention folic acid. Do you take folic acid too? I sure hope so as it counters much of the carcinogenic side-effects of azathioprine.

I take 5mg per day and will do so even on lower doses of azathioprine.

Gabrielle
----------
Mild Crohn's disease. Terminal ileum and caecum resected 87. 2001 balloon dilatation of stricture at anastomosis. 2007 diagnosed with Crohn's arthritis. Crohn's active 2007.

Advertisement

#2 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:20 PM

Better a balance of Omega 3 and 6.

Here's what I take and info about it.

Omega 6/3 Fish Oils:
http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00553.html

Interesting website, if you are into alternative options. Very well researched. Even if you don't buy from them, worth a look.

O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#3 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:43 AM

I take flax- a natural form of omega 3's. I've used it for about a year instead of the omega 3/6 oil. I get enough omega 6 in the fruit, veg', grains & pulses I eat daily. I know people with IBD may avoid these foods but my diet is now full of them since being in remission. I'm concentrating on the omega 3's which I do lack as I don't have much fish in my diet.

I find the flax tastes good. It can be put on salads, in home made soups, in smoothies, etc.
Jupiter119. Ulcerative colitis diagnosed 2001.

#4 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:13 AM

Gabrielle- you'll be plesed to hear... I took the folic acid last night. Won't forget again Posted Image

#5 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:16 AM

Ok I won't forget again- promise. Posted Image I've no excuse as there's loads of the stuff at home.

#6 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:53 AM

CT- there should be a balance of 6's & 3's.
If you eat fruit, veg, nuts, seeds & grains (many IBD'ers don't) you probably get loads of omega 6. Some folk have 20 times more omega 6 than 3.

#7 UKpup

UKpup

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:39 AM

Gabrielle,

I had absolutely no idea that I was supposed to take it. I have a 1 a day vitamin that I take to keep my iron up, is that enough? I also take a sublingual B-12 vitamin that has folic acid in it, but I've run out of it (waiting for it to come in the mail).

Thank you so much!!
Paul
"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell." --Christopher Walken **********************************************************************

#8 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:10 AM

Cheers Gabrielle.
I'm determined not to forget this vit.

#9 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

It's also important to take fish oils (omega 6/3) -
even my GI, who doesn't know much about nutrition or vits and supplements - says I should take fish oils.
I'm supposed to take 6 a day, but I only get to 3 sometimes 4 a day.

And I find a good calcium (with magnesium, Vit D and other minerals) is also important. One can take the liquid kind.

I also take a digestive enzyme, two immediately before I eat my main meal. My GI # 4 recommended at the timem, all he was good for, that I take 2 before each meal and one after, which I did for a while.

And a probiotic (acidophilus) although I've heard it is best not to take it when on antibiotics, only soon after.

Hope this is useful. We get our vits and supplements in bulk, on sale at the end of each year! I can post where, if anyone is interested.

O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#10 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:58 AM

Jupiter Posted Image Goodonya for getting back on folic acid. I answered the grapefruit question on the other thread specifically about it but I'll repeat here: I've never heard of grapefruit being contraindicated with azathioprine but it sure is with budesonide (entocort).

CT Posted Image you too, ya bugger, make sure ya take ya folic acid.

Gabrielle <--- aka the folic acid queen
----------
Mild Crohn's disease. Terminal ileum and caecum resected 87. 2001 balloon dilatation of stricture at anastomosis. 2007 diagnosed with Crohn's arthritis. Crohn's active 2007.

#11 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:55 PM

Gabrielle re. Azathioprine (Imuran) do you know anything about us NOT having grapefruit juice? I heard somewhere that grapefruit & Aza' didn't mix. Any ideas why or what effects take place?

#12 CrohnieToo

CrohnieToo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:45 AM

And Gabrielle, I forgot about your and O's admonition to take Folic Acid as well. (Sheep faced smile). I read your post shortly before my gastro appointment so thought to mention it to her and she said, definitely take it, but she only recommended 1 mg. Like UKPup I get only 400 mcg from my daily vitamin w/iron. So ... like a good girl today I will stop and buy some folic acid on my way to or from my Endocrinologist appointment. I almost bought some Omega 3 BUT in reading up on it I had read someing about the Omega 6 and Crohn's, can't remember what, but supposedly less or no 6, lots of 3, the best. So I "meant" to explore further before buying ... and forgot and haven't done a thing about that either.

#13 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:26 AM

UKpup Posted Image

what folic acid is normally included in a daily vitamin tab is not enough. Like I said, I'm on 5milligrams a day! You can't overdose on it, any excess is passed from the body, via urine.

B12 is not folic acid. It is really important to take folic acid when taking azathioprine. Very.

Gabrielle
----------

#14 UKpup

UKpup

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:23 AM

Just do you know Gabrielle I bought some Folic Acid last night and started taking it.
"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell." --Christopher Walken **********************************************************************

#15 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:09 AM

UKpup Posted Image

goodonya!

Gabrielle
----------

#16 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:33 AM

Sorry to chip in like ths. I keep forgetting to take my folic acid so thanks for this thread Gabrielle. Must remember to take it- life seems to get in the way of vitamin consumption Posted Image

#17 UKpup

UKpup

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

OK, so the multi-vitamin is OBVIOUSLY not enough seeing it only has 400 micros. The other that I take - the sublingual one has the same amount. (Gabrielle, I wasn't clear about that one, it's B-12 B-6 and Folic Acid in one..http://www.trivita.com/products.asp)

That being said, I guess I need to get another onePosted Image Any recommendations anyone?

O, I responded to your PM. Also, I take Flax seed oil for my omega 3's, will that do?

Thanks you all.

#18 CrohnieToo

CrohnieToo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, well, I was NOT a happy camper after the Endo appointment! Endo wasn't there. Was seen by the PA who couldn't answer most all of my questions and no Endo to do a tete-a-tete with to get the answers. A whole year on 100,000 IU vitamin D and I've continued to lose ground with the osteoporosis.

Skeptic that I am (and oh so trusting of doctors too), I've spent a good share of this morning already checking the Preos clinical trials information. (A search on TOP and PaTH will bring up those clinical trials). Their results mirror Forteo's, that bisphosphonate therapy prior to or in conjunction with parathyroid hormone therapy (for osteoporosis) interfere's with the bone building efficacy of the PTH therapy.

What I haven't been able to find is where I stashed the info I found regarding vitamin D therapy. As I remember it, and I may be getting it mixed up w/the Preos and Forteo info, is that one thing, vitamin D or the PTH therapy, fills in the bone, rather than just strengthen bone. I wish to heaven I would learn to be more efficient in my filing!!!!!

#19 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:19 AM

Oh Jupiter... ya gotta take folic acid if you are on azathioprine... it's ONE 'vitamin' ya have to take, matey! It's REALLY important!!!!!!!!

go get some folic acid, you!

hugs
Gabrielle
----------

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here