Post Seton Placement For Fistula - Fistula Support - IBD Support Group Forums - IBDsupport.org

Advertisement

Photo

Post Seton Placement For Fistula

seton pain fistula cant walk lactulose anal diarrhea

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 boredofpoo

boredofpoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

Advertisement

Hi All 

I am 19 and have just had a seton surgery for an anal fistula.

I do not have chrones, but suffer from IBS (combination of constipation and diarrhea)

I started having stomach problems when I had salmonella (according to a stool sample but I am not sure) after i had diarrhea for a couple of weeks. 

I then had several faecal samples to test for inflammation but nothing was sure 

The fistula, I was told, was a sebaceous cyst and i was pescribed antibiotics, but didn't take them because had a bad reaction to the first antibiotics i was given last december (diarreah - or however u spell it).

In early July, a plastic surgeon attempted to remove the 'cyst' under local anaesthetic but then discovered it went further, and I was sent to a surgeon. 

After two MRIs and a two month wait (because the plastic surgeon removed some of the fistula so I couldn't start the treatment) I was put under general anaesthetic for examination and a seton placement. 

Its been seven days since, and i went away a few days later, so I probably haven't been resting enough

Day 1: Was good, I was given a lot of painkillers, so I was feeling okay.

Day 2: I was in a pain but manageable, kept taking pain killers.

Day 3: Took less painkillers, only hurt when sat on area.

Day 4: The same as above, i rested a lot

Day 5: The same as above, I was having quite a bit of discharge for these five days. I was showering two to three times a day and drying the area.

Day 6: Quite a lot of pain, as well as discharge. I emailed my doctor who told me this was normal and pain would continue for several weeks. I had not been taking pain killers (e.g. paracetamol)

Day 7: A lot a lot of pain. I cried. I couldnt walk, but area was still clean and it fel more like the muscle around was hurting then the actual fistula! Felt heavy and muscle was tight. I took two painkillers that night which helped.

Day 8: Today. I had bad stomach cramps and gas all day, and tonight I had diarreah - which i think is from the laxative (lactulose) that i was prescribed and i have taken once or twice every day since the operation. I also developed rashing and the fistula become slightly more enflamed.

I would love to know if you all experienced similar things.

Advertisement

#2 Lioness818

Lioness818

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:50 AM

How are you feeling today? I had my fistulotomy yesterday, but no seton. I'm feeling pretty good today. I've had my first BM which wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. I've done a few sitz baths and also showered. I'm concerned about the increase in pain you've experienced and wondered if there was a problem discovered or was it normal?

Either way, I hope you're feeling a bit better!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: seton, pain, fistula, cant, walk, lactulose, anal, diarrhea

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here