4 replies to this topic

#1 SAR08

SAR08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Advertisement

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]I have read every page of this site twice and finally decided that I need to share my story and get some advise on my next steps.[/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]I wont go back too far.. but this all started in early Dec 2012 with an absess, a few misdiagnosis and ultimately a diagnosis from a CRS that I indeed had a perianal absess and an anal fistula.[/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]The external opening/abcess area is very close to my "girl parts" which makes it extremely uncomfortable.  [/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]I had a seton placed in mid-Jan[/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]Advancement flap on 2/13 - It failed after a couple days so the Dr went back in to try and re-sutre the flap (he did a minor rectal exam 1 week post op and felt that the flap was still in place and it would be worth it to try to repair it) 2/26 i had the second "repair" surgery (sooo painful for many days after, prob the worst pain i have ever been in)[/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]Its now 3/18 and we are certain that the flap failed.  Still feeling air pass through the fistula track and the drainage increases after a bowel movement and there is stool in the discharge (not as much as before the surgeries, but its still present which indicates the flap is not covering the internal opening)[/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]My CRS and i have discussed both the plug and the LIFT.  I am not sure which one i shoud go with.  (My fistula is complex and runs through both sphinter muscles so a fistulotomy is not an option)  [/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]Can anyone give me some pros/cons or thoughts about which would have a better healing percentage?[/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]Based on my reading... the plug never seems to work and the LIFT works quite often,.[/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]Any feedback or advise would be greatly appreciated. (31 yo Female with no IBS or Chrones)[/font]

Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 tim59

tim59

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

i have gone through  plug/flap/advanced flap and lift procedure in the past 4 years

the only one that last over two years was the lift procedure,which i had done in march of 2011 and  in december i had another abcess

and seton was inserted no pain at all two weeks ago i opted for the lift procedure again hopeing this time it well work if not the surgene

going to do the advance flap if this fails.

i am sticking to my hi fiber diet and use stole stofener hopeing it willl work this time  if not back to seton  beside sitz bath

#3 SAR08

SAR08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

How is the post op pain and recovery for the plug and lift?

#4 tim59

tim59

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

t think  the lift is less painful then plug or flap

with the lift procedure is painful the first 3days  then the pain is bareable   and after 10 days  i very little pain, at start i was taking 2 painfilles every four how  now i only take one before bed  im still off from work for another 2 weeks dr still wants me to curb activies so it give it time to

heal.   the dr look at it yesterday and says it healing good  it very tender yet that about it  still have to do sitz bath 3 times a day and after every bowl moment.

if i rember  i was in more pain longer  and painful to walk or sit for weeks when i first had the plug done 3 years and two flap 2 years with my first lift.

i'm not sure or the surgeone not sure if this lift procedure will work so i have too wait  and see if it will, i hope it will.   I'am a survior of forneirs

desease that starte with rectal abess  so i'll try anthg to get better

#5 SAR08

SAR08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thanks so much or the info,Tim. I hope the LIFT works for you. Such an awful experience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FLAP, PLUG, LIFT, SETON

© Copyright 1995-2014 IBD Support All rights reserved.

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here